Each March once I return from the show, I try to dedicate some time to miscellaneous stuff that gets relatively ignored the balance of the year; race team builds, repairs, the odd lingering repaint, etc...
One of the items on the list was a build for Zach, a really great up and comer in the under 18 Expert division who has fully embraced racing and it's community culture.
So, this will be Zach's sled for the season, a 650b frame painted up in a Rat Rod motif.
The finish did not start out as intended. Originally, to save time, it was going to be a simple fire engine red powder coat with a couple of simple panels...you know, to save time and all. Once I got the powder layer done, I just really was not feeling it; didn't like the color, the powder didn't flow as well as I wanted, etc. I was frustrated right off the bat. So I decided to go the other direction and use the negatives as a springboard for something cooler.
Once flashed off, the whole frame got a rub down with a maroon pad, to blend the colors and edges together. Next up, I took a detail grinder and began working my way down through the finish to expose areas of bare steel, creating diverse long "scratches" and shorter abrasion areas, giving the frame a beat on look. Decals on, I then took a torch set on a heavily carbonized flame and smoked the white in the decals so that they would look aged, being careful not to apply too much heat to lift them.
Finally, I added a little custom airbrushing to bring out the persona of the frame :)
A matte clear finish was applied to bring down the overall effect.
I was pretty happy with it. I wish Zach the best of luck this season and that he is damn fast on this Rat Rod.