Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Todd's Yo part deux

Ok, Todd has been patiently waiting for his resto...like 2.5 years, and gave me a lot of levity in how to paint it up.  The only parameters were that he wanted something a bit funky that was a little different from every other Yo you see out there.  Can do.

Yesterday, I left you off with the masks finally dialed in.  After cutting up a bunch of these then spending a good hour hunched over the desk, weeding out the masking while trying to keep the sweat from dripping on them, I started applying them to the frame...
Once the masks were on, the frame was sprayed in metallic silver again to seal in the edges and prevent any color bleed from the next layer. 

On goes the black...
I then added some brush strokes that will be less bold than the masked areas and help blend in the effect  Here she is all ready for the color layers...
I had intended on working in a candy pink color, but the opacity of the white used in the mix just did not let the metallics come through as well as I desired.  I stepped back and decided to let inspiration move me.  Pulling a 3D Violet and Turquoise blue I had mixed up to match some 90's anodized components, these two faded together beautifully to make one heck of a finish...
 A shot of the head tube...
and some close ups...

Of course, it looks so much better in person.  I was hoping that it would be well received by someone other than me, and when Kalten walked in...

"Whoo, that is sooo cool!"

I've got another layer of clear to do in the morning, let her sit for a couple of days, then she'll be ready to send off.

I've taken three days of vacation off from the FD so I can have a concerted time to focus on Chad's build...although he's not waited 2.5 years like Todd, he's been patient and quiet as a monk.  So here's how the rest of the month will play out...


Tomorrow - Final clear on Todd's frame and Cary's fork crown
Friday - Finish 6 Ti bars
Chad's road frame
Tony's 650b (yes it's true Tony, it's FINALLY time)
Reggies LD stem
Sue's road frame

cheers,

rody

3 comments:

Brian Wright- said...

That is a FAT paint job!

Unknown said...

Very nice Rody! Color right over the black, but it only can be seen where the silver is? Really cool.
Craig

That Deaf Guy said...

That is STUNNING! Very impressed with that, wow!