Saturday, August 15, 2009

Saturday morning coloring...

I don't know about you guys and gals, but quirky as he was, my Saturday was not complete unless I had the opportunity to watch the master of the brush, Bob Ross, throw down some funky strokes and turn out something spectacular. The guy had an uncanny ability to take simple paint and create an illusion of reality; complete with happy little trees, angry little streams, and the obligatory mountain...Loved that guy :)

Although I've not got near the skill as my fro haired brother above, I did a little painting today too. Running forks through the booth the last few days has been a little monotonous but satisfying to get them ready to go to their new homes.

I thought I'd share two of some of the work I did this morning.

The first fork is for Alan, a BOI painted in a silver to red to match his late model Fat Ti. I started by laying down a few layers of sanded primer...

Once blown off, I taped up the crown race and put my happy little caps on the canti bosses, then the silver metallic goes down...
The silver is a base for the overlying color, a sunset red, that is translucent and relies on the base to give it a bit of a kick. The color begins somewhat faded, but gets richer with each successive layer. Here's the first coat...kinda weak looking, eh?

After four coats though, the depth really begins to come out. Now that's better!
This guy will get three coats of clear then be off to sunny (?) England.
The next fork is for Jared in Reno and will be accompanying his Yo frame that is in for a repaint as well.
You Fat fans should recognize this color...half of a fairly well known paint scheme.
If you said Aqua Blue, you are correct Sir!
The better half in place with the blue, Lime sherbet, yummy!
Ta for now...off to do some trail work before it gets dark.
rody

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always loved when Bob had a painting going, everything looked great, then BAM a tree needs to go in the foreground. It started as a big dark line going right through other detail. Of course it all worked out in the end.

PBS still has Bob on from time to time as well